Thursday, September 25, 2008

Warning to pet owners

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those that do.
Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along
to all of my dog loving friends and family. Please tell every dog owner you know.

Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their
garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website,
this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats. Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'

This Snopes site gives the following information:


Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution, check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your g ardene rs are using in your gardens.

Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells
developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.
PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION

4 comments:

Chimpo said...

I'm sorry, but what kind of jagoff buys cocoa scented mulch? Someone who owns dogs or cats should know not to leave anything chocolate-related around, let alone cover a large portion of your yard in it.

Stacey K said...

I know chocolate is bad for dogs, but for some reason I never connected the mulch with bad. Yes, I should have, but I didn't. I don't own any, but I almost bought some last spring. It could have happened to me, so I will be spreading the word.

and I guess I"m the kind of jagoff who buys cocoal scented mulch. Or at least almost buys.

Spyder said...

Stacey- Luckily no mulch in my dogs pen. But if mulch had said " good to keep squirrels, rabbits, & deer away" I would have bought it. So this was good to know.

Felix said...

Yes I have two pets in my home & will also pass your information to the others pet owners.