Monday, June 18, 2007

Another day in the wilderness

Sunday, looking out my kitchen window I saw these two very young (still speckled) fawns. I took this picture through the window & screen.

A bit later I was back at the window. There were 3-4 birds attacking something. I looked again & there was the biggest (5 feet) black snake heading straight at the house. That was not acceptable. First of you need to know that I'm terrified of snakes. I ran out & told the hubby to follow me. I showed him the snake & he agreed that it was a mucking big snake. Since it's suppose to be a "good" snake we didn't want to kill it but we didn't want it up by the house. I asked him if he wanted this long garden tool that has 3 prongs. I thought that it might work picking the snake up. The snake went around the house and up a huge holly tree which towers over the house. Here is a picture of him in the holly tree (not an apple tree!). We lost him up there for a bit. Hubby kept trying to get me to go into the house. But I wasn't going in until I was sure that the snake was back into the woods. He finally came down & headed across the yard & went under our wood racks. Hubby got the hose & sprayed water hoping to encourage the snake to just keep going. It took me over an hour to calm down. Later that night I had to pick a tick off the hubby's back. Yup, life in the wilderness has it's good moments, and it's bad ones.

6 comments:

Janet said...

dude. that's a huge snake. *shivers*

Spyder said...

Janet- You should have seen it on the lawn. I was freaking out!

Happy In Bag said...

It's the tick that creeps me out.

Spyder said...

Hib- And the ticks actually love me more than they do the hubby. I need to start taking something. Garlic pills mom said.

Trelvix said...

HATE the snakes. Ticks I can handle. Anything that can move so quickly across the ground without feet is evil in my book. ack!

Spyder said...

And silently! This one was fast too!